Mahesh Memorial Paediatric Ward Inaugurated!
The Mahesh Memorial Paediatric Ward was inaugurated April 14th, 2009 at the Cancer Insititute (WIA) Adyar in the presence of celebrities and the general public, but most importantly the tiny tots who will use the modern facilities housed in this 22,000 sq. ft. building comprising a children’s play area, dining room, general wards, and ICU, among others. Treating and curing childhood cancer is the focus here.
A 22,000 square feet, 50 bed paediatric ward caters to the needs of children aged 3 to 10
- Three general wards
- Isolation wards
- Outpatient consulting rooms
- Minor procedure room
- Conference room for telemedicine
- Meditation room
- Dining room
- Children's play room
- Rest room for doctors and nurses
Overseen by Dr. Shanta, Chairperson, Cancer Institute (W.I.A) Adyar.
The fundraising process for this building spanned six years, with the help of well-wishers and friends, AR Rahman's Unity of Light concert, and Ajay Devgan and Kajol's participation in Amitabh Bachchan's Kaun Banega Crorepati on Star TV.
The MMT has raised and funded Rs 2.3 crores through its initial fund-raising efforts.
The Trust contributes towards the following areas on an on-going basis for the ward (all costs per month) -
- Maintenance of the Mahesh Memorial Paediatric Oncology Centre - Rs 40,000
- Medical treatment for the children - Rs 50,000
- Conducting workshops for children - painting, theatre, movies, special lunches - Rs 10,000
- Emotional support to patients and their families through counselling
- Special attention to the mothers of the children undergoing the treatment
Inauguration — People — News Items
Mahesh Memorial Paediatric Ward